Sunday, October 21, 2007

CONSUMER ALERT: PARABENS WHERE YOU LEAST EXPECT IT

With all the information out there about how bad any of those paraben preservatives are, I was shocked recently to find parabens in a product that I did not expect it.

I had gotten a whole package of samples like Pepcid AC, Immonium etc. My older son had some stomach aches awhile back and I knew there was a small bottle of Mylanta in that sample pack. I was reading the dosage directions on the label when my eye wandered to the "inactive ingredients". Here's the ingredient list for the Regular Strength Mylanta:

Butylparaben, D&C Yellow #10, FD&C Green #3, FD&C Yellow #6, flavors, glycerin, hydroxyethyl cellulose, propylparaben, propylene glycol, purified water, sodium saccharin, sorbitol.
Uses

Besides the large amount of food coloring (why?), is there anything else that catches your eye??? How about the Butylparaben and the propylparaben? This is a product that goes in your stomach for crying out loud. I have only seen parabens in lotions and cosmetics but now in an OTC heartburn product?

I looked over the other Mylanta products and here are the other ones that contain parabens (Luckily not in the Children's products):

Maximum Strength Mylanta Liquid (all flavors)
Regular Strength Mylanta Liquid
Mylanta Ultimate Strength Liquid

I'm getting curious as to what else that we ingest has parabens in them. All I can say is when you are in the store..CHECK THE LABELS! Needless to say, I threw out that bottle of Mylanta.

1 comment:

Anne-Marie said...

Parabens are commonly found in food - they are in all kinds of edible products since they preserve against mold and bacteria. You'll be surprised how often they crop up now that you're looking for them in food products.