Sunday, January 13, 2008

More for the Hall of Shame

Awhile back I had a short post on Dove's Creamy Oil Body Wash. It's "creamy oil" was petrolatum. So, I was in CVS the other day running an errand and was down the body wash aisle. I thought I'd take a look at some of the other "moisturizing" body washes just to see. What I found really kinda shocked me. Those Oil of Olay Moisture Ribbon body washes..well they have petrolatum in them too. Olay! Wow, that was a shock. I remember when Oil of Olay was it's own company and now it's under some other giant conglomerate. When there's so many other natural oils out there why do these companies put petrolatum in their body wash???
Just in case you are wondering what Petrolatum is..here is a quote from this month's issue of Plenty Magazine (they have a great article on these nasty chemicals in beauty products.)
"Petrolatum
What it is: a mineral oil derivitive used to soothe and soften the skin.
Found in: lip balm, moisturizer, facial moisturizer, products with SPF, styling gel and anti-itch cream.
Why you should avoid it: It's a by-product of petroleum, so it's not biodegradable and comes from a nonrenewable energy source, says Daniel Fabricant, PhD, vice president of scientific and regulatory affairs at the Natural Products Association. It also may contain low levels of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), which are suspected carninogens."

Avoid it if you can. I've made changes in my life and the way I buy things. Do you look at your labels?

1 comment:

KaytiBear said...

I do look. Mostly I get goat milk soap online . It's ingredients seem safer and my skin loves it. I used to get eczema all over until I did this . I was shocked by all the weird chemicals in things. I hope people do check labels