Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Inside Indie: Foster's Creations

This weeks Inside Indie interview is with Shannon Foster of Foster's Creations. Shannon makes lovely bath and body products (her bath salts are fantastic) as well as air fresheners, jewelry and she also does CAKES. Here's my interview with Shannon.

Tell me about the mind behind Foster's Creations

I am incredibly blessed. I am able to work from home doing something I love. I am still amazed everytime I make a batch of foot cream and it goes from oils and water to cream. It is truly fascinating. I have a really great support system and I really enjoy hearing about how my customers feel about my products. I love them but I am a bit biased, so when I get a nice compliment from my customers I know I am doing the right thing. My business is my creative outlet.

What got you into the bath & body business?

My passion began shortly after Christmas 2001. I had wanted to make my family members something different for Christmas but I tried one of the kits from the craft store and needless to say my family got something different that year. I then began scouring the internet looking for any and all information on soapmaking.

Do you remember the first product you made?

My first product I made was a cream in an online class which resulted in the creation of my Fluffy Body Butter and my Peppermint Foot Cream.

Ok, you're stuck on a desert island and you can only have one of your products with you..which one, which fragrance and why?

My MSM-Menthol cream and gallons of it as I suffer terribly from arthritis and don't go anywhere without it.

You also make jewelry and cakes..can you tell me a little bit about that?

I began making cakes in 1998 when I saw a cake that looked like a basket of pansies on the cover of a Wilton yearbook. I took some classes in 2000 and began making wedding cakes the next year. I go into this nice little zen place while decorating. While I don't always get to see the brides reaction I do love to see the look on their face when they see their cake for the first time. It makes me feel proud of what I do to make their day special. I took a year or two off to get the bath and body business off the ground and they actually compliment each other well as my craft show season is in the fall and most of my weddings are spring and summer. I began making jewelry in October 2006 while recovering from my cancer surgery. I had 8 weeks where I could not lift and had to do something to pass the time. I really enjoy all of the things I do as they are very relaxing for me. I love creating things.

What is your can't live without product that you don't make?

My Crocs absolutely without a doubt. I have been without them for 2 weeks while waiting for a new rivet and let me tell you I almost broke down and bought another pair.

I highly recommend Foster's Creations. I've been using Shannon's products for almost a year now. Her MSM cream has done wonders for my chronic neck pain (diaper bag syndrome) and my headaches. I also love her air fresheners cause they last so long and you can get them in any of her fragrances. Her bath salts are fantastic too by the way. I'm sure you'll find something there that you'll love.

No comments: